Achievements/ movies / comp results / other proud moments
Filming with Nuit de la Glisse for 6 years, Jumping in Holmenkollen on telemark skis.
Favorite areas or descents
Describe your skiing background
- I grew up in Oslo, close to a little ski-lift named Rødkleiva. I skied with my friends every day after school. Later I got into alpine racing, snowboarding and then telemarking. At age 20 I was racing on the national telemark team and for 5 seasons I travelled around Europe and USA for the world cup races. Tired of racing I started to freeride telemark and I still do.
What was your big breakthrough or defining moment in skiing?
- Winning my first world cup telemark race. Filming my first big line with Nuit de la Glisse.
Describe a skiing experience when things got out of hand
- After hiking and climbing all day, we were finally on the top of a steep and long couloir in Chamonix. The exit at the bottom was very narrow. After the narrow part it was an open, smooth and enormous glacier. Because it was perfect powder, I wanted to strait-line the narrow section and just make some big turns on the glacier below. The top went excellent and so did the straight-line, but I soon discovered I was going too fast and when I wanted to reduce my speed it was not powder, but solid ice, crusty and wind blown snow. Impossible to make any turns or slow down, I soon found myself doing uncontrolled flip-flaps and tumbling down a pretty impressive distance. One broken ankle and two badly frozen big toes – after waiting for the helicopter rescue, put an early end to the season!
What are you up to when you’re not skiing?
- My work, Graphic design. Downhill biking in the summer.
Any training advice or suggestions?
- Stretch more and more!
Who or what inspires you?
- Kaj & Sverre of course!
How do you see skiing evolving in the next five years?
- Nano technology, x-ray vision for flat-light, intelligent skis?
Do you have any vices that you would like to share?
- Become a wizard with your avalanche receiver and make sure your friends are too! Be careful with straight-lines.
What are your future plans or goals in skiing?
- Have fun & live a little!